Introduction to Plate and Frame Filter Press:
The plate and frame filter press is widely used for solid-liquid separation in various industries. It is known for its versatility and efficiency in separating solids from liquids, making it a popular choice in wastewater treatment, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage processing, and chemical manufacturing, among other applications.
The plate and frame filter press is mainly composed of a thrust plate, a compression plate, a filter plate and a filter frame, a beam, a filter medium (filter cloth), a compression device, a liquid collection tank, etc. The plates and frames are arranged alternately, and the two sides of the filter plates are covered with filter cloth. The plates and frames are pressed tightly by the hydraulic cylinder, and a filter press chamber is formed between the plates and frames. There are holes on the corners of the filter frame and filter plate, which form a complete channel after assembly, which can pass into the suspension, wash water, and lead out the filtrate.
The plate and frame press filter is batch operation, which means that the operation must be stopped to discharge the filter cake before the next batch can be started. The filtering cycle usually takes from 20 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the different characteristics of the filtering material.
Filter Plate and Frame Sizes:
The sizes of our filter plates size are 320, 450, 630,800,1000,1250,1500 and 2000 mm. We can also customize the size of the plates depending on clients’ requirements.
Available Materials of filter plates:
- Stainless steel 304 or 316L
- Cast Iron
Plate and Frame Filter Presses Diagram
Plate and Frame Filter Press Working Principle:
The process of one batch filtration is as follows:
1. Closing of the filter plates and frames: when starting the press button on the PLC control cabinet, the moving head plates will be activated by the hydraulic calmps the plates.
2. Filling: The sludge (or slurry) will be pumped into the chamber one by one. When all chamber is full of filter cakes, the filtration is finished.
3. Filter plates and frames opening: The moving head is drawn back to disengage the first filtration chamber. The cake falls will drop from the plates/frames because of gravity. The auto-pulling system pulls out the plates one by one.
4. Filter cloth Washing: Usually, washing of clothes should be carried out every 15-100 batches.
Plate and Frame Filter Press VS Recessed Chamber Filter Press
Both the plate and frame filter press and the chamber filter press are commonly used solid-liquid separation devices, yet each offers distinctive features and advantages.
The plate and frame filter press utilize separate plates and frames alternated together, where the frames act as chambers for the slurry to be pumped into, and solids collect on the frame while filtrate passes through the plate. In contrast, the chamber filter press is made up of only recessed plates(without a filter frame), creating built-in chambers between them. Due to this design, chamber filter presses typically have a higher filling capacity than plate and frame types.
While plate and frame filter presses are more suitable for handling thin slurry with a lower solid content, the chamber filter press is preferable for thick slurry with higher solid content due to its larger cake-holding capacity. The choice between the two ultimately depends on the specific application and the properties of the slurry to be processed.
The recessed plate filter press can also bear a higher feeding pressure than that of the plate and frame filter press.
|Filter area(m2)||Plate size(mm)||Cake thickness(mm)||Filter chamber volume(L)||Number plate(pcs)||Filtration pressure(Mpa)|
Plate and Frame Filter Press Advantages
- Scalability: The number of plates and frames can be adjusted to handle varying volumes of slurry, making it adaptable to different scales of operations.
- Fine Filtering: The plate and frame type can use both filter cloth or filter paper, this enables it can filter very fine particles.
- Customizability: As one of the top filter press manufacturers, Uniwin offers various designs, sizes, and material choices for plates and frames to meet specific industry needs.
- Easy to Inspect: The distinct separation between the plates and frames makes it easier to inspect, clean, or replace individual components without disassembling the entire unit.